Scones are delicious on their own as a snack or as part of an afternoon tea tray or mid-morning brunch.
This cinnamon and sugar scone recipe is a delightful sweet treat with the warm flavors of cinnamon and sweet sugar playing on your tongue.Jump to Recipe
Cinnamon and Sugar Scones
- 3 cups flour spooned and leveled
- ½ cup brown sugar + 2 tablespoons, divided
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 10 + 3 tbsp butter, divided
- 4 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut butter into cubes, then freeze until ready to add it.
- Use a prepared cast iron skillet or other desired pan. If using a pan other than cast iron, grease then flour the pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Cut butter into the flour mixture, leaving pieces of butter.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla.
- Cut remaining butter into small pieces.
- In a separate bowl, add remaining butter, brown sugar, and the cinnamon.
- Melt the butter and sugar mixture in the microwave. Allow to cool slightly, then pour gently onto a sheet of parchment paper and press and freeze.
- Pour buttermilk mixture into flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Once chilled, cut the cinnamon butter into pieces and stir into the dough.
- Spread mixture into pan or skillet, then bake for 23-25 minutes.
- Cool, cut into eighths, and serve. Store in an air-tight container for up to 4 days.